I just completed my first anniversary with Qcells USA Corp and now more than ever I am bullish on Qcells USA becoming the #1 utility scale developer for solar plus storage and standalone storage across the United States. I consider myself lucky to be part of the team that has a great combination of experience and these well-funded capabilities: development of land and interconnection, EPC (Engineering, Procurement & Construction), Systems Integration, Asset Management, and solar modules manufacturing. Here are some highlights:
- Geographic Diversity – Qcells USA is a utility scale solar and energy storage developer, an EPC services provider as well as an Independent Power Producer. In only a year and a half, Qcells USA Corp has 6.7 GW of hybrid solar + storage and 7.5 GW of standalone utility scale solar projects in queues across the United States. These are numbers that utility developers typically accomplish in 5-6 years, not in 18 months.
- Financial Resources – Qcells has strong financial backing from the Hanwha Group. Hanwha Group is the 6th largest conglomerate in South Korea and operates in a range of industries from Finance, to Manufacturing, Construction, and Services & Leisure. It requires strong financial resources to have so many GWs of energy in queues across the country in such a short amount of time.
- Integrated Business Model to Mitigate Supply Chain Woes to Meet COD (Commercial Operation Dates) – Developers across the globe are facing supply chain challenges for a variety of reasons and have had to push back COD dates for their projects. Due to our integrated business model, Qcells USA Corp. has access to solar modules. Solar supply chain issues are not a concern within Qcells USA since we have access to trade-free, and tariff-free modules to meet the anticipated COD dates that our customers are needing.
Qcells affiliates here:
- USA Inc. – U.S. based module manufacturer in Dalton, GA with 1.7 GW of solar module production capacity. Qcells recently announced an upcoming expansion of the existing Dalton facility, increasing the annual module production to 3.1 GW. Additionally, Qcells announced its upcoming polysilicon production capabilities in the states of WA and MT through investments in REC Silicon.
- America Inc. – is a U.S.-based complete energy solutions provider in solar cell and module, energy storage, and innovative energy management software (EMS) solutions. Qcells provides excellent services and long-term partnerships to its customers in the residential, C&I, utility, and government markets.
America Inc. acquired GELI in 2020. GELI is known for its EMS optimization in the C&I market segment. I am pleased that GELI is focusing on EMS development for the utility scale market. The plan is to utilize the full EMS package on our utility scale storage systems in the 2024-2025 time frames.
Qcells is investing in the entire solar value chain here in the U.S., we believe we are uniquely positioned to deliver renewable projects that are best in class around the country.
- Things move at lightning speed compared to other energy companies – I am thrilled to be at a company where speed is appreciated and welcomed. Qcells USA is growing rapidly, and I have a front row seat to see the charisma and great achievements of my respected colleagues.
- Experienced Team - I am in awe of the talent that Qcells has brought into this organization. I am grateful to have an experienced EPC (Engineering, Procurement, and Construction) team as well as Utility Scale Module Sales team within Qcells USA to meet the COD certainty that our customers desire.
I am especially inspired by the collaboration I see daily in the Development Team that I am a part. On a personal note, I am grateful to be under the leadership of @Vitaly Lee. Vitaly Lee brings over 25 years of experience to help lead the team in development across the United States.
- Respectful Culture – This is by far the most respectful business culture I have had the opportunity to be part of in my corporate career. One can be challenged in a positive and constructive way as opposed to silence or a confrontation that could escalate in a nonproductive manner.
- Sustainability– Qcells mission: We aim for a greener tomorrow with completely clean energy solutions. Qcells is investing in American made, sustainable, low carbon equipment to reduce Scope 3 emissions for developers. We are focused on how to responsibly care for the end-of-life of equipment.
At Qcells USA Corp, I predict we will be #1 in the United State not only for development but for Utility Scale Module Sales and EPC Provider. We strive to be the developer of choice to provide completely clean energy solutions that ultimately reduce the costs of energy for Americans across this country. See this link to find out more about Qcells USA Corp.
To read more blog posts from Amy Jo Miller, please see her blog here.